Best UK Poker Sites - Play Poker in British Pounds / £
While all online poker players definitely share some things in common, they're not without differences. Players from different regions, for example, are interested in different games, promotions and features. Nowhere is this more true than in the United Kingdom, where gambling plays a central cultural role and poker players have a unique set of expectations when it comes to online poker sites.
Helping UK poker players find the site that best matches those expectations is our goal with this guide, which will also discuss the unique things players look for in a UK poker site and tackle the sometimes-controversial topic of whether or not UK-based poker sites actually provide a better value than their international counterparts.
Top Poker Site for UK Players
UK poker players have their pick from the best the online poker industry has to offer. This includes best VIP programs, best software and best action in cash games. Gamblers from the UK are highly sought after by poker rooms, meaning that such gamblers can afford to be very picky when selecting a UK poker site.
While any number of rooms would provide poker players from the UK with a quality experience, we believe 888 Poker sits atop the list of UK online poker sites. When we choose rooms for guides such as this one, we're considering factors like the welcome bonus the room offers, the ongoing promotions available to players, the selection of games provided by the room and the overall measures the room takes to make the process of playing online as close to risk-free as possible.
Poker Room Highlights
100% up to
- Offers a 100% to £400 bonus + £12 free no deposit
- 888 Poker accepts a variety of payments including PayPal
- Legally licensed - parent company traded on LSE
100% up to
- Earn a 100% to $600 deposit bonus on first two deposits
- A free $20 no deposit bonus available through our site
- Widest spread of poker games + highest stakes
100% up to
- New players receive a 100% to $600 deposit bonus
- Offers one of the best software platforms
- Play Hold'em, Omaha, Stud, Draw or a variety of mixed games
200% up to
- Receive a 200% up to £2000 sign up bonus
- Huge guarantees including a monthly £200K
- Mac / Linux / Windows / Mobile compatible
100% to £400 Bonus + £12 Free Cash at
888 Poker is the leading UK poker site. The poker room is a legitimate 3D poker site with their innovative web cam poker room. This poker room is legally licensed and regulated by the Government of Gibraltar. All new players that join through our site will receive an exclusive 100% to £400 deposit bonus + a free £12 no deposit bonus. The cash bonus is available to use as soon as you have completed the registration process.
888 Poker Review >
William Hill is another well-known brand throughout the UK. This British poker site is one of the few rooms to allow players to deposit, cash out and play poker online in British Pounds. The site features cash games and tournaments in GBP as well as USD and Euro. Players will receive a 200% to £2000 exclusive bonus when you join through our site. Additional features include Mac compatible software, progressive jackpot SNG, and a large player pool with more than 30,000 players during peak hours.
William Hill Poker Review >
Full Tilt Poker is one of the top three busiest poker rooms online. This site is comprised of primarily UK and Euro traffic and with more than 50,000 players during peak hours – you really shouldn’t have too many difficulties finding a cash game or filling up a SnG. The poker room offers some of the highest stakes possible for poker online and is backed by some of the biggest names in professional poker. This site does not offer cash games or tournaments in GBP, but they will convert your deposits into USD at a reasonable rate. Join today for a 100% to $600 deposit bonus.
Full Tilt Poker Review >
Free $20 Cash Offer + 100% to $600 Bonus at
PokerStars is the largest poker room to play poker online in the United Kingdom. You can take advantage of the thousands of satellites available each week that provide entry into major land based tournaments in the UK as well as across Europe. Pokerstars accepts deposits in GBP and provides GBP cash games and tournaments. New players qualify for a $600 deposit bonus (the bonus is payable in USD) as well as a $20 free bankroll bonus.
PokerStars Review >
888 Poker excels on all of those counts, and also offers some unique advantages to UK players. The first is the ease with which you can use your poker funds to participate in the other wagering options 888 provides. The second is the frequent local sports tie-ins in the poker room that will appeal to those passionate about both football and cards. The final specific benefit: Regular satellites to all manner of live poker events within the UK, from small buy ins to high roller tournaments.
What UK Players are Looking For in a Poker Site
Every online poker player is obviously looking for something specific to their needs, but players from the United Kingdom tend to be concerned about a couple of key factors when selecting a poker site.
- Currency Issues: Does the room accept deposits in pounds? Can you play poker in pounds? If you can't play poker in pounds, what are the specific policies of the room regarding the conversion of your funds into the primary currency of the room? Whenever you're using a currency other than the primary currency of the room, you must educate yourself about the related policies of the room or you risk taking a loss every time you sit down to play poker.
- Regulatory Compliance: As mentioned above, UK poker players can pick from any site they like. That means an attractive UK poker site will adhere to the toughest regulations and hold licenses from the most credible organizations. After all, there's no reason for online poker players from the United Kingdom to settle for anything less than a legal poker site.
- Ease of Banking: While online poker is a global activity, financial transaction processing remains a highly regionalized industry. UK players want rooms that offer major payment services like Neteller and PayPal, or those that accept credit cards popular in the UK. Above all, players from the UK should rarely have to suffer any charge for depositing or making a withdrawal, and should expect rather fast turnaround times when it comes to putting money on or taking money off.
Do Local Poker Sites Offer Better Value for UK Players?
Some UK poker players might prefer poker sites that are attached to a company with a physical presence in the United Kingdom such as Ladbrokes or Betfair. There are certainly advantages to such sites, especially if you can merge your online and offline wagering accounts, but the myth that only local rooms can effectively cater to the UK market or somehow offer inherently better value to UK players is just that - a myth. The gambling industry as a global one, and UK players shouldn't limit their options by only considering regionally-based sites, as plenty of international poker rooms have substantial value to offer to online poker players hailing from the United Kingdom.