Australian Poker Sites
Australia is one of the busiest and most vibrant online poker markets in the world, with tens of thousands of players a week logging on to try their luck at cash games and tournaments at a variety of Internet poker sites. While not all Aussies may realize it, they could have a much better chance of walking away from those tables a winner if they were a touch more selective about which site they chose to play at in the first place.
Finding the best Australian online poker rooms isn't a mysterious process known only to a few - it's simply a matter of putting in some work and then making informed decisions based on the results of your efforts. To ease your way, we present this guide to the top online poker sites for Australian players that provides our preferred pick, some thoughts on what players from Australia look for in an online poker room and wraps up with some final thoughts about payment processing at Aussie-friendly sites for online poker.
Poker Room Highlights
100% up to
- Offers a 100% to $600 bonus + $8 free no deposit
- 888 Poker accepts a variety of payments including PayPal
- Legally licensed - parent company traded on LSE
100% up to
- Earn a 100% to $600 deposit bonus on first two deposits
- A free $20 no deposit bonus available through our site
- Widest spread of poker games + highest stakes
100% up to
- New players receive a 100% to $600 deposit bonus
- Offers one of the best software platforms
- Play Hold'em, Omaha, Stud, Draw or a variety of mixed games
200% up to
- Receive a 200% up to $2000 sign up bonus
- Huge guarantees including a monthly $200K
- Mac / Linux / Windows / Mobile compatible
Free $8 Cash on Sign Up + $600 Bonus at
888 Poker is by far our favourite online poker room for Australians. The poker site accepts deposits in AUD and features satellites to some of the world’s biggest events – including the Aussie Millions. 888 Poker is legally licensed and regulated in the UK, offers a $600 deposit bonus and includes unique software features. The poker room is compatible with all operating systems and is also mobile ready to play poker on iPad, iPhone or Android.
888 Poker Review >
William Hill Poker is another excellent choice if you are searching for a poker site in Australia. This site is powered by the iPoker Network and while you won’t be able to play poker in AUD, you can deposit and later convert to British Pounds, USD or Euros. William Hill is part of the Will Hill betting network, one of the largest and most respected in the UK. Other benefits to choosing this site include active cash games 24/7, a great line-up of tournaments and a $2000 deposit bonus exclusive for our players.
William Hill Poker Review >
Full Tilt Poker is a popular brand throughout Australia and most of the world. The poker room offers new players a 100% to $600 bonus which you will receive with your first real money poker deposit. The poker room software is ranked as one of the best in the industry. Its Mac compatible, was the original creator of Rush Poker (also called Speed Poker on other networks) and provides a phenomenal customer support team.
Full Tilt Poker Review >
Pokerstars is another top pick for Aussie players wanting to play poker online. This site is the only poker site to deliver country specific online tournaments. This means you can play against other Australian players in a single tournament. The poker room is by far one of the busiest poker sites online, often attracting over 200,000 players during peak hours. The software is compatible with Mac & Windows and is also mobile compatible for Android poker players as well as those using an iOS device.
PokerStars Review >
888 Poker tops a number of our online poker guides, and with good reason - the room is one of the few to experience steady growth over the last few years, a period that has seen other major rooms suffer declines. What's the secret? Again, nothing magical at play here; 888 Poker simply offers a superior online poker experience (including one of the best poker clients) , not just for Aussies but for players worldwide.
It starts with an innovative poker room software platform that manages to provide features desired both by casual and professional players. Whether it's the ability to bring your home game online to 888 with private games, to play poker in 3D, via webcam or to try your hand at some of the highest stakes found anywhere online, the software at 888 provides an array of features and functionality that keeps players coming back.
Behind that software is an award-winning customer support team, an unrivaled reputation for security and integrity when it comes to financial transactions and player deposits and one of the best-regarded security teams in the poker industry. A complete package for any player, 888 Poker also meets some of the specific, unique desires of poker players from Australia.
What Do Australian Players Look for in a Poker Room Online?
- Support for AUD: It's obviously irrelevant how great the room is if the room doesn't take Australian dollars. Like most major poker rooms, 888 will let you deposit and withdraw in AUD, but conducts game play in dollars or euros. No rooms that we're aware of offer games in AUD denominations.
- Live Tournament Tie-ins: Live tournaments are massive in Australia, and players from the country want to patronize sites that give them a chance to win seats in the prime time events like the Aussie Millions. With satellites for land-based events running year-round, 888 meets the desire Aussies have to take an affordable shot at a big poker payday.
- Accepts Australian Players: Australian law prohibits companies based in Australia from offering certain gambling products to residents. There are a few rooms that fall under this categorization, so Aussies have to be sure they're actually welcome at a room before they bother learning more about it. 888 Poker does not, and offers poker to all Australians of legal age.
Depositing and Withdrawing at Australian Online Poker Sites
Credit cards are by far the most popular deposit method for online poker players from Australia, but the nature of the online poker industry can sometimes result in a failed deposit due to the credit card company rejecting the charge. Additionally, while you may be able to deposit using a credit card, you generally can't cash out back to that card.
For both of those reasons, we suggest players from Australia only use rooms that accept POLi as a payment method. POLi is a very popular e-wallet (just like Skrill or PayPal poker deposits) that makes it supremely easy for Australians to use their credit card or bank account to play online poker. Your details are secure with POLi and never exposed to the poker room, and you can usually move money from POLi to a room and back to POLi within hours. That security and ease of use is quickly making POLi a must-have feature for online poker players from Australia.